Policies & Procedures
The Georgetown University in Qatar (GU-Q) Human Resources Policies are aligned with the values and goals of the University and are compliant with Qatar Labor Law. This information is published and maintained so that human resources matters can be handled consistently and equitably throughout the University.
The policies will be updated periodically to reflect changes in GU-Q policy and in both U.S. and Qatar law. However, no provisions in these policies, or in separate memoranda or pamphlets are, or should be construed as, an implied or expressed contract or guarantee of employment or contractual obligation of the University.
The University reserves the right to interpret, change, modify, add, delete or not apply all or part of the provisions of these policies at any time.
Questions concerning the applicability and interpretation of the policies should be discussed with and resolved by the the Office of Human Resources. Please email us. Please click on the links below for a full description of the respective policies.
Policy Table of Contents
- Introduction to HR Policies specific to GU-Q
- 102Q Employment Categories
- 202Q Job Posting
- 203Q Job Application and Selection
- 206Q Employment of Minors and Juveniles
- 301Q Attendance and Punctuality
- 302Q Discipline and Discharge
- 303Q Dispute Resolution
- 305Q Administrative Leave
- 306Q End of Employment
- 401Q Professional Conduct
- 601Q Holidays
- 602Q Paid Annual Leave
- 603Q Family Leaves
- 604Q Short Term Disability and Benefits
- 605Q Sick Leave
- 613Q Hajj Leave
- 614Q Parental Leave
- 615Q Maternity Leave
- 616Q Long Term Disability and Benefits
- 801Q Work Day and Work Shift Changes
- 802Q Meal and Rest Periods
- 803Q Overtime Policy
- 804Q Deductions and Adjustments
Other GU-Q Policies:
- GU-Q Faculty and Staff Handbook
- Georgetown University in Qatar Housing Policy
- Georgetown University in Qatar Shipping Policy
- 2019 Sponsorship Guidelines
- 2018 Expatriate Tax Handbook
- Guidelines for GU-Q Part-Time Hourly Paid Employees
- GUQ – Tax Equalization Policy
- COVID-19 Paid Time Off Vaccination Policy
- COVID-19 Paid Time Off Policy
Main Campus/University Policies:
Title IX and Sexual Misconduct Policies, Processes, and Contacts
Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 (“Title IX”) prohibits discrimination based on sex in any educational programs, which includes sexual harassment or any acts of sexual misconduct. Title IX requires the University, upon becoming aware of any incident of sexual harassment and misconduct to respond appropriately to protect and maintain the safety of the University community, including students, faculty, and staff.
For detailed information related to Title IX at GU-Q, please visit qatar.georgetown.edu/titleix or contact GU-Q’s Deputy Title IX Coordinator.
All GU-Q employees, with the exception of the employees in the Student Wellness and Counseling Center, are required to promptly notify the Deputy Title IX Coordinator if they become aware of any conduct involving GU students, faculty, or staff that may violate the University’s Sexual Misconduct policy. More information about employee responsibilities and how to report can be found in the Title IX Resource Guide for Employees.
The Title IX Working Group recommended a syllabus statement for faculty to highlight a commitment to a safe and non-discriminatory learning environment. The statement was presented at a Faculty Council meeting, and distributed to all faculty at the beginning of the Spring 2020 semester.