Georgetown University in Qatar (GU-Q) invites applications for a yearlong postdoctoral fellowship in the humanities and social sciences.
The aim of this initiative is to prepare outstanding junior Qatari scholars (within five years of the doctorate) for university teaching and research careers. It will foster their success by permitting them to pursue their research while gaining mentored experience as teachers and members of the GU-Q academic community.
Candidates are invited to apply for a fellowship in a field where their work has demonstrable relevance to teaching and research at GU-Q. These fields include, but are not limited to: political science, history, philosophy, literature, comparative religion, economics, social and cultural anthropology, sociology, political theory, law, and international relations. Preference will be given to candidates whose interests are interdisciplinary and who would particularly benefit from and contribute to GU-Q’s intellectual life.
The primary expectation is that the postdoctoral fellow will produce scholarly publications and refine a research agenda, while gaining valuable teaching experience and building academic/professional networks in Qatar and beyond. To this end, the fellow will be invited to professional development workshops devoted to pedagogy, publishing, and mentoring, and will work with an assigned faculty mentor to hone their teaching abilities. The fellow will be expected to:
- Be in residence at GU-Q for the full academic year of appointment (August through May)
- Work with a faculty mentor to design and teach one or two undergraduate courses in an affiliated GU-Q discipline during the fellowship year
- Hold regular office hours to consult with students
- Integrate fully into the intellectual life of GU-Q
- Engage actively in scholarly exchanges with GU-Q faculty and outside visitors
- Present his/her research at a GU-Q faculty seminar
- Give a public lecture on his/her area of research as well as guest lectures in relevant classes.
Fellows may apply for a renewal of the fellowship for a second year.
We are seeking Qatari nationals with a Ph.D./D.Phil. in the humanities or social sciences. A Juris Doctorate (J.D.) will be considered as an eligible qualification for the purpose of this fellowship. However, an honorary doctorate, Doctorate in Arts (D.A.), Doctorate in Education (Ed.D.), Master of Fine Arts (MFA), performing arts degrees, or any other equivalent degrees will not be considered eligible alternatives.
Applicants holding the Ph.D./D.Phil. or J.D. at the time of application must have received the degree after January 1, 2019. Applicants not yet holding the Ph.D./D.Phil. must have passed the dissertation defense no later than July 1, 2024, and must graduate no later than December 2024. Applicants not yet holding the J.D. must have graduated by July 1, 2024.
The program will begin annually in August. Applications for the Fall 2024 term must be received by December 31, 2023 for consideration.
A complete application will include the following:
- Contact information
- A cover letter (one page, single spaced) describing research and teaching interests to an interdisciplinary search committee
- Curriculum vitae
- Dissertation abstract, or research statement (up to three pages, single spaced)
- A sample of written work in English (article length, no longer than 40 pages, double spaced);
- A separate description of teaching experience and interests (up to three single-spaced pages). Applicants should familiarize themselves with course offerings at GU-Q;
- Three confidential letters of recommendation
All application materials should be submitted to GUQ-PostDoc@georgetown.edu. Please reference “PostDoc Application – Your Full Name” in the subject line.
We discourage the submission of additional materials with your application and cannot return such materials to you. Applicants will be notified when their applications have been received, and will be notified of the fellowship competition outcome in the spring. If you accept another position or postdoctoral fellowship, please withdraw your application by emailing GUQ-PostDoc@georgetown.edu.
Queries about the position should be directed to GUQ-PostDoc@georgetown.edu.